Leader in Regenerative Veterinary Medicine®
Since its formation in 2002, VetStem Biopharma has endeavored to improve the lives of animals through regenerative medicine. As the first company in the United States to provide an adipose-derived stem cell service to veterinarians for their patients, VetStem pioneered the use of regenerative stem cells in veterinary medicine; VetStem holds exclusive licenses to over 70 patents including world-wide veterinary rights for use of adipose-derived stem cells.
In January of 2004 the first horse was treated with VetStem Regenerative Cell Therapy for a tendon injury that would normally have been career ending. By August 2007, 2,000 horses had been treated with their own healing stem cells with a high return to performance rate. By December of 2010, the number of horses treated reached 4,000.
Building on the success in equine cases, in 2005 VetStem began working with select veterinary clinics in treating dogs with osteoarthritis and orthopedic soft tissue injuries. In 2007, VetStem had the first published peer-reviewed blinded placebo controlled multicenter study showing a significant difference for stem cell treated dogs in OA of the hip. In May 2007 the company began offering stem cell services for the commercial treatment of dogs and cats, and by January of 2011 over 3,000 had undergone the therapy.
When VetStem began investigating the use of an animal’s own regenerative cells for healing tendon injuries and for easing the pain of osteoarthritis, this form of therapy was not a commonly accepted treatment modality. However, through VetStem’s in-person and online Credentialing Course nearly 5,000 veterinarians in the U.S. and Canada have been educated regarding the benefits of helping the body to heal itself with stem cells. The course covers topics ranging from current research in Regenerative Cell Therapy, to how to select appropriate cases, to adipose collection and stem cell injection techniques.
Looking to the future, VetStem is actively investigating stem cell therapy for immune-mediated and inflammatory diseases, as well as organ disease and failure. VetStem works with its human medicine partners in the hope that VetStem’s work in the veterinary field will lead to advances in human medical treatment, so that both animal and owner will reap the benefits of these efforts in the form of a markedly improved quality of life.
- Vet-Stem, Inc. founded
- Vet-Stem signs a worldwide exclusive license to fat-derived stem cell technology for veterinary applications.
- First horse treated with VetStem Cell Therapy
- First dog treated with VetStem Cell Therapy
- Milestone: 500 horses have received VetStem Cell Therapy
- First cat treated with VetStem Cell Therapy
- Milestone: over 1,000 animals treated with VetStem Cell Therapy
- Milestone: 2,000 horses treated with VetStem Cell Therapy
- Vet-Stem conducts the first formal Small Animal Credentialing Course for California Board Certified Surgeons at a workshop in San Diego, California.
- The first randomized double-blinded placebo controlled multi-centered study is published showing that intra-articular injection of fat derived stem cells into the hip joint of the dog decreases patient discomfort and increases patient functional ability.
- Milestone: 3,000 horses and over 1,000 dogs treated with VetStem Cell Therapy
- Veterinary Therapeutics publishes a peer reviewed study on the use of stem cells for treatment of chronic osteoarthritis in the elbow of dogs. This clinical trial reports a significant improvement in lameness, range of motion, and functional ability in dogs treated with Vet-Stem Regenerative Cell Therapy.
- Milestone: Over 2,000 dogs and 3,300 horses have been treated with VetStem Cell Therapy.
- Vet-Stem begins offering stem cell culturing, a service to expand the supply of stem cells for the animal’s lifetime.
- U.S. Navy, Office of Naval Research, awards a contract to Vet-Stem to engage in a collaborative study of stem cell biology in marine mammals.
- Milestone: 4,000 horses and over 2,500 dogs treated with VetStem Cell Therapy
- Vet-Stem expands services to Canada
- Milestone: 3,000 dogs treated with VetStem Cell Therapy
- The Tallahassee Museum’s male Florida panther receives VetStem Cell Therapy in his right elbow
- Milestone: Over 8,000 VetStem Cell Therapy processes
- Canine StemInsure launched
- Stem Cells and Development publishes “Adipose-Derived Stem Cell Collection and Characterization in Bottlenose Dolphins” presenting data obtained from the collaboration between the National Marine Mammal Foundation and Vet-Stem.
- Vet-Stem updates the RACE approved Continued Education course for small animal stem cell therapy.
- Milestone: 10 years, 10,000 animals
- Stem Cells Discovery publishes “Single-Center Study of 83 Horses with Suspensory Injuries Treated with Adipose-Derived Stem and Regenerative Cells” by Dr. Ross Rich who has treated over 600 horses using Vet-Stem Cell Therapy
- Vet-Stem Inc, formally changes its name to VetStem Biopharma, Inc.
- Milestone: 11,000 stem cell processes
- VetStem completes cGMP manufacturing facility- the first veterinary exclusive stem cell manufacturing facility in the US- to be used for allogeneic stem-cell product development program
- VetStem Biopharma announced the successful completion of a field clinical study of its canine osteoarthritis stem cell product, currently under formal development for FDA approval.
- Milestone: 12,000 animals treated with VetStem Cell Therapy
- VetStem Biopharma, Inc., announces publishing of landmark peer-reviewed manuscript on stem cell therapy of canine osteoarthritis. The placebo-controlled study of allogeneic adipose stem cell therapy in dogs with clinical arthritis is the largest study of its kind to date in the veterinary literature
- VetStem Biopharma begins enrollment in pivotal FDA approved clinical study of allogeneic stem cell therapy for the treatment of osteoarthritis in dogs
- Milestone: 13,000 animals treated with VetStem Cell Therapy
- VetStem Biopharma, Inc., Announces the Opening of its GMP Cell Therapy Manufacturing Facility at its headquarters in Poway, CA
- CEO of VetStem Biopharma, Dr. Robert Harman, presents the results of a safety study performed on an allogeneic stem cell product for osteoarthritis in canines
- VetStem Biopharma Begins GMP manufacturing of stem cells for human biopharma clinical trials as a contract manufacturer
- VetStem Biopharma launches human stem cell company, Personalized Stem Cells, Inc., to begin human clinical trials using adipose derived stem cell therapy
- VetStem Regenerative Cell Therapy helps arthritic sun bear at the World-Famous San Diego Zoo
- VetStem Biopharma, parent company of Personalized Stem Cells, Inc. is approved for stem cell manufacturing by the California Department of Public Health
- VetStem Biopharma secures FDA approval of first human IND for its subsidiary, Personalized Stem Cells, Inc.
- New Treatment Milestone: VetStem Biopharma, has processed nearly 14,000 patient samples resulting in over 30,000 stem cell treatments
- VetStem Biopharma launches Performance Cell Manufacturing division to expand contract cell manufacturing services